380th Air Expeditionary Wing   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

News > Airmen may have erroneous tax documents
Airmen may have erroneous tax documents

Posted 3/28/2012   Updated 3/28/2012 Email story   Print story


by Staff Sgt. J.G. Buzanowski
380th Air Expeditionary Wing Public Affairs

3/28/2012 - SOUTHWEST ASIA  -- Officials from the Defense Finance and Accounting Service have identified issues with tax-filing information for approximately 30,000 active-duty Airmen throughout the service.

Some Airmen were issued Form W2s for 2011 that contained errors due to changes in state-level tax laws. While the discrepancy was originally thought to only affect people in those particular states, experts have discovered the issue has impacted other Airmen as well.

"According to DFAS, most of the accounts have been identified and a listing of those affected will be forwarded to major command officials; members who are impacted will receive notification as well," said Capt. Tracy Busmann, 380th AEW comptroller. "On a local level, comptroller squadron commanders are doing whatever they can to help people figure out what they need to do next.

"The bottom line is everyone needs to check their W2 through MyPay and see if they've been identified as someone who has been affected by the discrepancy," she added.

If someone is identified as having been issued an incorrect W2, they will have a link to their W2C form. The C is a corrected designator, Busmann said.

If the affected member has already filed for their taxes, they will need to accomplish an amended tax return. If they paid a tax-preparation service, more than likely, the members will not be reimbursed any fees, Busmann said.

"It's incredibly unfortunate that this happened, but DFAS figured the issue out before April 15, so people still have time to get their taxes done without having to file for an extension" Busmann said.

The captain also reinforced that anyone who is currently deployed automatically qualifies for a deadline extension and has up to 180 days after they redeploy before their taxes will be due.

If anyone has any questions about their W2, they should contact their local finance office.

No comments yet.  
Add a comment

 Inside 380th AEW

ima cornerSearch

Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act